Sunday, November 23, 2008

Be United

I did not plan to post anything on this blog today actually. But I accidentally came to this site from my Blogger dashboard and it triggered me to write on something. I know that Ai Ling and a few others visited the band on Friday. I was invited to join the visit too but too bad, I have very important papers coming in a few days' time; Biology and Physics. Since the day I passed down my very meaningful post in secondary school which is School Band President 2007/2008, I had quite a number of regrets actually. Due to the not so appropriate AGM (less than a week before SPM trial), the transition of power from 2007/2008 board to 2008/2009 board was surely very not formal and not proper. I had a lot of things to pass down to my successors and I had a lot of things to tell to all the juniors actually - being the typical Tan Kok Yen. So I seriously still have a pile of words in my heart that i have to spill out. But obviously, I am not doing it here. I wish to get a chance to be back with you girls in band one day to officially enclose my transition of power. Because compared to last year's briefing, duty coordinating and all, I think this year's transition lacked a lot of these. I do not hope the new board to have grieves in them because I need you girls to understand that sometimes, there are a lot of things that we need mutual understanding within the members, especially among the committee. Not long after leaving the board, I had random people in school who approached me to ask about a particular rumour, gossip or whatever - you name it. At the first approach, I felt "entertained" because it was indeed a very fresh news! I was busy with my preparation for SPM and for leaving my precious secondary school when a news about me aroused in school. I definitely found it hilarious. However, as weeks passed and I am already in the midst of finishing my battle in SPM, one of the members of our very own beloved band, asked me whether the rumour was true. The idea of having rumours revolving on bad relationship between a member of the band and myself is surely the last thing that hit me when I left the band heavy-heartedly. I see it as a deformity. It is ugly. It is a no-no thing in a new committee. I am seriously disappointed as the 2007/2008 board had struggled so much to eliminate politics in band but once the board was dismissed, the "malignant cells" spread. Have you forgotten my last words that I emphasized again and again in my out-going speech? "No matter what, be united and remember to be tough"

With love,
Tan Kok Yen
Former President 2007/2008

1 comment:

Yin Sian said...

Band, is a place where people co-operates and perform together. Not about politic. Most importantly, BAND is not a place for people to "debate" ! You need to be patient in order to become stronger "No matter what, be united and remember to be tough" said the Former President 2007/2008. Do you all wish to see the band "hibernate" or shut down?! That's insane but there's possibility! Wake up, people! Stop attacking each other. Just please don't disappoint us!